Tuesday, March 20, 2012

WonderCon 2012

Over the weekend, I had the great pleasure of (and resultant overwhelming exhaustion from) attending WonderCon.

Some highlights of the weekend:

-More than ten...count them...TEN encounters with the Cylon models known as "Fake Mel Caylos" or, alternately, "Frakkin' Melsters." Naturally, none of these sightings resulted in a single photograph.

-Quality time with the lovely "League of Extraordinary Ladies" and the equally hilarious Geekscape crew.

-Some truly remarkable panels. Topping the list were "Horror in Comics," which takes the cake for putting my favorite genres and my favorite creators together in one room, and the brilliant Amber Benson's first foray into moderating with Jane Espenson's spotlight panel.

-Having a convention that is small enough for creators to actually connect with the fans. Unlike Comic-Con, I never struggled to get a seat in a panel (granted, I avoided the Ballroom), and actually was able to see, meet, and even talk to, a number of the creators I really respect and admire, including Mark Waid, who somehow managed to juggle roughly 800 million panels with more wit, energy, and insight than I could imagine mustering. And was still incredibly gracious in person, even at the end of an impossibly long Saturday.

My panel notes are forthcoming. Keep in mind that they were taken in real-time, so any errors are a failure of trying to keep up and not quite managing. Also, the one panel that lacks any notes was "Comics on Comics." This is mostly because I am always too busy laughing to write anything down, a lesson I learned three years ago.

Enjoy, nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment